Donald Trump has announced that he will impose 30% customs tariffs on Mexico and the European Union since August 1, a measure that would further deteriorate the US relations with two of his closest trading partners, writes FT. The US president issued the new tariff threats by two letters published on Saturday morning on the Truth Social Platform. Although the EU letter follows a template similar to over 20 threatening messages this week, Trump has, in addition, accused Mexico of «fails to stop the cartels.» Earlier this year, the US threatened Mexico and Canada with 25%rates, as reprisals for what Trump called failure in stopping illegal immigration and fentanyl flow – an extremely dangerous opioid – over the common borders with the US. In the letter to Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum, Trump acknowledged that Mexico «helped» in «security of the border», but said that efforts «are not sufficient». Both letters to the EU and Mexico blame the US trade deficit with these countries as a justification for new rates. «Commercial deficit is a major threat to our economy and, in fact, for national security!», Wrote Trump. The perspective of new rates imposed on two of the closest US allies and trading partners ends a tense week in which Trump threatened over 20 countries with rates – and announced the imminent imposition of a 50% tariff on copper. The letter to the EU comes in spite of the fact that European officials spent weeks by swimming between Brussels and Washington to negotiate an acceptable agreement for the Member States. The two parties work on a plane to reduce the 25% tariff on vehicles and take into account an agreement to eliminate customs duties on spirits, aircraft and components. The EU is also prepared to reduce its 198 billion EUR surplus in goods, committing itself to purchase more US-liquefied weapons and natural gas. Until now, the EU has not reacted with retrsency measures towards Trump's rates, which include:
– a 25% rate for cars and car parts,
– a 50% tariff for steel and aluminum,
– a 10% basic tariff for most products. The President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, said on Saturday that the EU executive «notes» by Trump's letter. «The imposition of 30% rates on EU exports would disrupt the essential chains of transatlantic supply, to the detriment of companies, consumers and patients on both banks of the Atlantic,» she said. The EU has «constantly prioritized a negotiated solution» with the US and is «ready to continue the work for an agreement until August 1.» At the same time, the EU is prepared to impose retrsency rates «If necessary,» she added. The threat to the rate of 30% – with more than two weeks left for negotiations – seems to be a negotiation tactic, according to an informed European diplomat on the discussions between Brussels and Washington. The ambassadors of the 27 EU Member States will meet on Sunday afternoon to discuss this threat, sources close to the plans said. In a statement, the Prime Minister of Italy, Giorgia Meloni, appealed to «goodwill (…) to reach an equitable agreement to strengthen the West as a whole.» «It would be meaningless to trigger a commercial war between the two banks of the Atlantic,» she added, stressing that both sides should avoid «polarization.» The Mexico government said on Saturday that it is already in negotiations with the US for an «alternative» before the deadline and that it considers the decision to be unfair. President Sheinbaum has constantly emphasized that he prefers the way of negotiation instead of reprisals.
For other news, analyzes, articles and information from real -time business follows the financial newspaper on WhatsApp Channels