The United States and the European Union began serious commercial negotiations to avoid the hardest rates imposed by Donald Trump, thus breaking a blocking that had placed the community block almost at the tail of the list of priorities in relation to the team of former US president. The two parties have made the first exchange of negotiation documents in the last days, in which they have sketched the fields of discussion, from digital commerce and investment opportunities, according to four persons close to negotiations and an EU informative note consulted by the Financial Times. Sabine Weyand, the main official responsible for the Commercial Policy within the European Commission, told the ambassadors of the Member States that the block must remain calm and not give in to the US wish to obtain «rapid victories», according to the note. She warned that some rates imposed by the US will probably remain in force, especially in the sectors that Washington wants to relocate, such as steel and car industry. The European Union, made up of 27 states and accused by Trump of «taking advantage» of the US, has so far failed to progress in negotiations with US officials as much as Japan, South Korea, Vietnam or the United Kingdom. Jamieson Greer, Trump's commercial representative, accelerated the rhythm of discussions after sending to European diplomats that American officials are increasingly frustrated by the EU refusal to put on paper, according to two familiar sources with discussions. In the absence of a first step from Brussels, Greer said that the EU should expect Trump to completely reprim the rates set on April 2. The 20% «reciprocity» tariff imposed by the EU was reduced by half until July 8 to allow negotiations. Trump has maintained additional 25% rates for steel, aluminum and cars and threatened with their extension on other sectors, such as pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, copper, wood, critical minerals and pieces for the aerospace industry. Maroš Šefčovič, the European Commissioner for Trade, spoke on Thursday with Greer and said he hopes to meet him next month at an OECD ministerial meeting. Šefčovič told the Financial Times that he wants to reduce the commercial deficit between the US and the EU by purchasing a larger amount of gas, weapons and agricultural products in the US. However, Washington has repeatedly expressed concern about the VAT in Europe, regulations on digital services, food standards and rates imposed on certain American products. Daniel Mullaaney, a former US chief negotiator for Commercial Relations with the EU, said that the US will most likely focus on regulations in the pharmaceutical sector and on the opening of the European market for American agricultural products during future discussions.
For other news, analyzes, articles and information from real -time business follows the financial newspaper on WhatsApp Channels